Halitosis or bad breath is common during pregnancy. Bad breath in women during pregnancy can be due to hormonal imbalances, morning sickness, dehydration, calcium deficiency or oral problems. Whatever may be the cause of bad breath, the ultimate result is foul smelling breath. There are few simple but effective ways on how to get rid of bad breath during pregnancy.
Some remedies on how to get rid of bad breath during pregnancy-
- Maintain proper oral hygiene: Pregnant women should take care of her teeth. Oral hygiene is very essential during pregnancy. Dental caries and gum diseases can affect the growing fetus. Studies have shown that gum diseases increase the risk of delivering underweight babies and preterm labor. So, brush and floss your teeth regularly.
- Avoid eating odor producing foods: Eating of strong odor producing foods such as garlic and onions can cause bad breath in pregnant women. Drinking coffee or tea frequently can also cause smelly breath. So, rinse your mouth right after drinking tea or coffee.
- Visit dentist regularly: Do regular dental check up to detect any chances of tooth decay and caries. Oral examination during the early stages of pregnancy is a must to avoid any complications to the mother as well as the baby.
- Eat calcium foods: Calcium deficiency during pregnancy can damage the teeth and result in caries. Therefore, pregnant women should foods that are rich in calcium such as milk. Calcium supplements can be added to supply extra calcium to the body.
- Drink lots of water: Dehydration is a common cause of bad breath during pregnancy, so, consumes plenty of water to keep the body well hydrated. Drinking water will also flush away bacteria from the mouth. It will increase the production of saliva and greatly reduce the number of bacteria.
- Use some natural products to treat dry mouth: Pregnant women cannot use any drugs or chemicals as it will affect the fetus. Natural breath freshening mints and lemon candies can mask foul breath.
- Clean your tongue: Pregnant women should not forget to clean their tongue while brushing the teeth. Use a tongue cleaner to rub away sticking food particles from the surface of the tongue or use a toothbrush to brush the tongue. This will eliminate bacteria that cause bad breath.
- Rinse mouth: Women during pregnancy can rinse their mouth with freshly extracted lemon juice to eliminate bad breath. One can use a diluted water and hydrogen peroxide to rinse the mouth. But careful not to swallow it by accident. Daily rinsing of mouth with salt and water solution can help in reducing bad breath.
- Brushing with baking soda and salt: Get a toothpaste made of baking soda and salt or one can mix little bit of baking soda to the toothpaste and brush the teeth. It will help you to get rid of bacteria as well as neutralized the bacterial acid which is another offender behind bad breath.
Chew gum after food: Chewing helps in the production of saliva and remove accumulation of bacteria in the mouth. One can chew sugarless gums after meals to remove lodged food particles in the teeth. This can is one of the simple ways on how to get rid of bad breath during pregnancy.
- Insights on Pregnancy and Toothaches – Are toothaches during pregnancy common?
- How to get rid of bad breath?
- Key Points in Understanding How to Eliminate Bad Breath
- What are some good home remedies for bad breath?
- How to Take Care of Constant Bad Breath Even after Brushing Teeth
- Bad Breath After Wisdom Teeth Removal
- The Main Causes of Bad Breath
- Cure Bad Breathe with Natural Herbs!
- How to Get Rid of a Toothache
- An Overview of How to Get Rid of a Toothache
- What causes bad breathe?