Braces are an orthodontic appliance made up of metallic wire. It is used to wield pressure to straighten crooked teeth and adjust the underlying bone .The perfect age for wearing braces is between 3 to 12 years. However there are braces which are made especially for adults –rapid orthodontist (speed dental braces) and it takes just 6 to 9 months to achieve the purpose.
PARTS OF BRACES:
- Arch wire: Metal wire which is attached to the brackets of the braces. It helps in moving your teeth.
- Buccal Tube: Buccal tube is a small metal part which is welded on the outer part of a molar band. It holds lip bumpers, face bows and arch wires with the help of a slot.
- Orthodontic Chain: Ortho chain is stretchable, so it holds the arch wire into brackets and makes an ease for the dentist in moving the patient’s tooth.
- Band: To hold teeth on the braces a metal ring is used which is known as band.
- Bracket: A ceramic part is glued onto the teeth and it works as a mechanism in fastening the arch wire.
- Face bow and Headgear: A wire apparatus used to move upper molar backs creating a space for crowded or crooked teeth. Face bow has two metal parts –inner part and outer part. The inner is horse shaped which is attached to Buccal tubes. The outer part consists of two curves, the curves go around the face connecting to the headgear. In this procedure an elastic neck band is used.
- Legating module: A small plastic piece which is shaped like a donut is applied to hold the arch wires in brackets.
- RETAINER: Retainer is an appliance which the orthodontist advice you to wear after the removal of your braces. It is attached to the upper teeth and holds them in the correct position. Especially at night, retainer becomes more strongly attached at the top of your jaw.
Acrylic: Acrylic is a special plastic which is used to make retainers, false teeth and other dental products.
Nickel Titanium: A very strong orthodontic wire that allow to move the tooth rapidly.
Alginate: Alginate is a soft substance which is made up of alginate powder. It is used to make impression and it’s tasteless and completely safe.
Bite plane: It is a removable appliance used to open deep bite and it is made of acrylic designed.
HOW MUCH DO BRACES COST?
The cost of braces generally depends on the type of braces you require for correction.
- Traditional Braces: The traditional braces are made of metal .It is placed on top of the teeth and helps to straighten the crowded teeth. Some people find it uncomfortable but some may find it beneficial.
- Plastic Braces: Those who want to get a comfortable and affordable brace can go for plastic braces.
- Concealed Braces: The styling of these braces is same as that of traditional braces. However, concealed braces are placed behind the teeth rather than on the top. These braces can hide its presence more. This is the most expensive type of braces owing to their invisibility feature.
There are other measures that you can follow while going for the braces:
- Remember – cost for the braces depends on the condition of the person’s teeth.
- Before settling down with braces check it is advisable to check with 2 or 3 orthodontist to make sure you’re not getting ripped off.
- Keep one thing in mind that even if the braces come from the same manufacturer the cost is not same as the fee for fixing up the braces vary with different orthodontists.
- You can even find many orthodontists who provide discounts for braces. Usually these orthodontists don’t spend much on overhead cost like-professional assistant and may be as good as the expensive ones.
Remember your teeth are an essential part of your body. Avail a suitable treatment before it becomes severe. It’s better if you opt for insurance policy, in that way you can keep your teeth healthy and save big bucks.