Orthodontic or dental braces for dogs can be used to correct misaligned teeth or malocclusion teeth. Malocclusion teeth can cause bad bite. It may also cause pain during eating. Orthodontic braces for dogs is designed to treat these abnormal teeth alignments and prevent any future troubles such as periodontal diseases, facial growth, abnormalities of temporomandibular joint, soft tissue strain and aberration developments. Most serious condition can result from malocclusion called as anachoresis or spreading of systemic bacterial infection to the heart, liver and lungs. It is extremely vital to evaluate malocclusions and treat them with orthodontic braces.
What are the other reasons for orthodontic braces for dogs?
Most often braces are required to correct abnormal teeth alignment. But in some cases such as wounds can cause by bite, problems resulting from birth (congenital) or hereditary abnormalities dogs may need to use orthodontic braces. Some other reasons include endocrine disorders, infectious diseases, and imbalances in the nutrition and radiation and chemical effects.
How do I know whether my dog needs braces or not?
- Look for the abnormalities in the length of the upper jaw and lower jaw.
- Asymmetrical face.
- Terrible bite or scissor bite and shyness of the face due to trauma of the soft tissue (misalignment of teeth)
- When your dog bites the top of the mouth while closing its mouth
Can you fit orthodontic braces for any dog?
No. Orthodontic braces are not always suitable for all types of faces. There are varieties of dog breeds. Some have shorter wide faces, others have long narrow faces, some have medium length faces and others have very short faces and noses. Therefore, correcting malocclusion to provide comfortable and functional bite is rather not a simple method.
What things are required to consider before using orthodontics for dogs?
- One has to consider the temperament of the dog. An aggressive dog may not even tolerate the braces.
- Another point to consider is the age of the dog.
- Owner’s time limitations as occlusal braces may require several evaluation
- Whether braces are suitable or not for the dog
- If the braces will be beneficial for the dog or not
- Risks and side-effects
Diagnosis and treatment:
Veterinarian will perform the tests to find out whether the braces are suitable for your dog or not. Step by step procedure include-
- Complete oral examination
- Medical and blood examinations
- Complete mouth x-rays
- Anesthetized to prepare a mouth mold
- Custom made mold is then fitted to the mouth while the dog is anesthetized again
- Visits to the clinic each week to evaluate the braces
Types of braces for your dog-
- Invisible braces
- Orthodontic buttons with elastic chains
- Other orthodontics such as incline plane or interceptic orthodontics
Benefits of braces for dogs-
The benefits of braces can be tremendous. Some of the benefits are-
- Prevention of periodontal diseases
- Prevention of any oral or gum infections
- Treating difficulties in eating
- Preventing future trauma and pain
- Prevention of systemic infections
Precautions for dogs with braces-
Don’t feed your dog with hard foods. Keep away the dog from chewing any hard materials till the braces are removed.