What is the average length of time to wear braces?
Braces are worn on the teeth that are misaligned. Braces helps to move or shift the misalign teeth to the correct position. The average length of time to wear braces can vary from one individual to another. Depending on the condition of the teeth and gums, the space available, the severity of the misaligned teeth, the distance which the teeth needs to cover and the cooperativeness of the individual to instructions.
However, the average length of time to wear braces is usually from 1 to 2 years. For some individuals braces may have to be worn for longer period of time up to 3 years or so and for some other individuals the time duration to wear braces may be lesser.
Factors which determines the duration of braces treatment-
- Age – the average length of time to wear braces depend on the age of the individual. Sooner and earlier you wear braces, more effective and faster result one can get. Younger the age, lesser the time duration for braces treatment. Younger children usually require shorter time than adults and grownups. This is because children’s bones and tissues are in the growing stage unlike the adults and therefore, takes lesser time to adapt to the changes. Moreover, adults may need to wear retainers even after removing the braces to complete the treatment.
- Severity of the teeth- If the teeth are severely misaligned or the teeth have very bad bite then one might need to wear braces for a longer time period may be 2 or 3 years to correct the problem.
- Dental health- Dental health is another factor that determines the time duration of wearing braces. Any gum inflammation and dental cavities before and during braces treatment can interfere in the treatment of the crooked teeth. Therefore, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Type of braces- Another factor which can affect the time length of wearing braces is the type of braces one chose to wear. For instance, metal braces are strongest and are more effective and faster in correcting misaligned teeth. On the other hand ceramic braces and other inward braces are less effective and may require longer time to wear to see the result. So, the braces types also play a role in determining the length of time for wearing braces.
- Distance of the teeth need to be moved- The amount of space or distance that is required to move the teeth can also determine the average length of time to wear braces. If one has a minor orthodontic problem and the teeth have to travel only a narrow distance, then one may have shorter time duration for treatment. However, if the teeth have a great gap between the teeth and the teeth is severely crooked then obviously time duration to treat misaligned teeth is going to be longer.
Most importantly individual’s willingness to follow the dentist instruction can greatly affect the effectiveness as well as the length of the time. One should listen and follow the orthodontic’s instructions prior to and during the time of wearing braces. Avoiding sugary foods, beverages and taking care of the teeth with regular brushing and flossing can help in better and faster results.
- How Much Do Braces Cost?
- How much do Braces Cost for Adults?
- Braces for Teeth
- Are There Any Braces Alternatives For Adults?
- Orthodontic Braces for Dogs to help them Live a Happier Life!
- Flaunt Your Braces In Style with Braces Colors For Girls!
- Why Are Teeth Yellow After Braces?
- Braces For Adults
- How Much Do Braces Cost?
- Why Dental Teeth Whitening After Braces are Removed is Better Than Home Whitening?
- Wisdom teeth removal recovery time