Cavities are cause due to tooth decay. When a sticky film called plague accumulates on the teeth it combines with sugary and starchy foods we eat to form acids that attacks the teeth enamel thereby, dissolving them. Deprived of minerals, enamel becomes vulnerable to bacteria acid attacks and holes are created.
Cavities often develop in the pitted chewing sides of the back teeth or in between the teeth or near the exposed root of the tooth or gum line. Cavities can be prevented by following few simple tips on how to prevent cavities between teeth.
Tips on how to prevent cavities between teeth-
These are some simple but protective dental measures one can take in order to prevent cavities.
- Brushing daily- Brushing teeth at least two times a day with a toothpaste containing fluoride is a simple way to prevent occurrence of cavities. Brush your teeth after each meal or at least after breakfast in the morning and at night before sleeping. Brushing each time after eating food prevents food particles from sitting inside the mouth. Get an electric or soft-bristled toothbrush for brushing. Learn proper brushing technique.
- Flossing daily- There are some areas in your teeth that cannot be clean only by brushing such as in between teeth. Cavities occur often in between teeth because food particles get easily logged in these areas allowing an ideal environment for bacteria to thrive and create tooth decay. Only flossing can remove these logged food particles in between teeth. Floss whole day to keep away cavities. Like brushing, flossing immediately after eating foods prevent creating a cavity favorable atmosphere in the mouth. Make a habit of flossing away at night before sleeping because at night while you are sleeping bacterial plague is allowed to sit between the teeth and at the gum line thus, allowing acids production to erode your enamel to cause cavities. Therefore, flossing is another way on how to prevent cavities between teeth.
- Rinsing with mouthwashes- Rinsing your mouth with antibacterial mouthwashes after eating or brushing helps in preventing cavities. You can use mouth rinses containing fluoride or tea tree oil. They help in killing bacteria in the mouth and prevent cavities.
- Fluoride toothpaste- Always uses toothpaste that contains fluoride in it. Fluoride helps in protecting your gums and teeth from the attack of acids thus, preventing plague formation and cavities. Fluoride also keeps your gums healthy and strong. Slight cavities can be treated with regular fluoride usage. You can apply few drops of tea tree oil in your toothpaste too. It is helpful in preventing cavities.
- Chewing gums- Chewing sugarless gum are another way on how to prevent cavities between teeth. Chew sugarless gums right after eating and in between meals. Carry some gums in your bag when you go for eating out. Chewing sugarless gums increases the secretion of saliva in the mouth thereby, removing away bacteria that cause cavities.
- Avoiding sugary and sticky candies- Avoid eating sticky candies and too many sugary or starchy foods that sticks easily in your teeth. They are the main culprits for cavities.
- Eat healthy diet- Eating healthy foods such as whole fruits, vegetables, grains, lean proteins and healthy fats are good for your oral health.