Oral Problems in Children:
Maintaining the oral health of a child is one of the main priorities of a parent. Children also suffer from various tooth problems such as tooth eruption, thumb sucking and tooth cavity etc. Many of the pediatric dental problems are not so severe however, in most cases children have to lose their tooth for treating their oral problems. Comparing to the adults, the oral problems of children are treatable.
Types of Dental Problems in Children:
- Tooth decay: Tooth decay in children is treatable. Consuming foods containing carbohydrates such as candies, juices, cookies and starches like, bread, rice, potatoes and pastas can cause tooth decay in children. These food particle mixes with the plaque which stimulates acid and leads to tooth decay.
- Tooth sensitivity: Drinking hot or cold beverages can irritate the gum. This can cause tooth sensitivity in the children. Tooth sensitivity can make tiny cracks in the teeth and exposes the interior part of the tooth. Children suffering from severe tooth sensitivity can feel a very painful sensation in their teeth while breathing in cold air.
- Bad breath and grinding: If a child has a poor dental hygiene then, they will suffer from bad breath and gum diseases. Grinding is also known as bruxism. This is an involuntary habit which happens in childhood age. Grinding can cause toothache.
- Gum disease: Gum disease is also known as gingivitis. The gum disease is a swelling of gum due to poor dental hygiene and the presence of plaque on the mouth. Plaque which can even further lead to normal tooth loss in children. The gingivitis swollen up the gum and causes bleeding in the gum.
- Canker sores: Canker sores are known as the aphthous ulcers. These are small sores which are basically found inside the mouth and they are white or gray in color. They are based in red colored border around the teeth. Canker sore last for 1 to 2 weeks.
- Primary teeth: When primary teeth tries to erupt with the permanent tooth at the same time is termed as over retaining of the tooth. The existence of primary teeth from the childhood to teenage can lead to more dental problems.
Causes of Normal Tooth Loss in Children:
- Poor dental condition: Children who don’t brush their teeth ever day can suffer from gum problems which sometimes leads to normal tooth loss in children. Most of the pediatric dentist gives a suggestion to the children to brush twice a day and maintain their oral health.
- Poor nourishment: Many children are tempted in consuming foods which are unhealthy for their teeth. Foods containing carbohydrates, sugar and acids. This type of poor nourishment can lead to tooth loss in children.
- Contact sports: Children love to play sports such as, basket, football, hockey and martial arts etc. Sometimes, this kind of sports can be risky for loosing of tooth. So, it’s better to use mouth guard while playing such sports.
Prevention for Normal Tooth Loss in Children:
- Fluoride therapy: While brushing the teeth use fluoridate toothpaste and this will prevent you from tooth decay and tooth loss.
- Brushing and flushing: Brushing the teeth twice a day and flossing it once a day can prevent tooth loss in children.
- Visit dentist: Visit your dentist every 3 months for your child’s dental check up.