What is sore throat?
Sore throat is the painful swelling of the pharynx. The condition is called as Pharyngitis. The main causes of sore throat are-
- Viral infections: Sore throat can result from viral infections like cold, watery nose, mumps, tonsillitis, fever etc.
- Bacterial infections: Bacterial infection can result in a sore throat which is accompanied with severe headache, stomach pains and swollen glands. The bacterium responsible for sore throat is streptococcus. The infection can be long lasting.
Sore throat is accompanied with fever and cold and cough like symptoms. It is classified according to the area of the pain such as-
Some other causes of sore throat are-
- Fungal infections
- Throat abusing activities like singing, coughing or shouting
- Mouth breathing such as snoring
- Inflammation of the tonsils
- Cancer ailments
- Acid reflux
Common home remedies for sore throat are discussed below-
1) Bark of Slippery elm: It is one of the herbal trees whose bark is used to alleviate sore throat. The mucilage present in the inside of the bark of this tree is combined with water and this is known to relief throat irritations. Slippery elm in the form of herbal capsules and in herbal teas is affective for sore throat.
2) Root of Licorice: Root is used as herbal home treatment for sore throat. The roots are used with water or with a diluted solution of a licorice root for gargle. This gives a soothing relief to the sore throat. It is also used in the form of herbal teas to alleviate sore throat.
3) Root of Marshmallow: Marshmallow root is used as herbal tea in sore throats. The root contains the mucilage which is known to soothe sore throat.
4) Flower buds of Honeysuckle: Honeysuckle flowers are gently boiled in water for about 10 minutes and then strained. The liquid is consumed up to 4 cups in a day. It reliefs sore throat.
5) Herbal teas: A tea prepared with cayenne, honey, apple cider vinegar and lemon is an ancient sore throat remedy.
6) Gargling: One of the remedy for sore throat is gargling a mouth with warm salt water many times a day.
7) Keep your throat lubricated: Consume lots of fluids to keep your throat well lubricated. Such as lukewarm water mixed with honey or warm drinks.
8) Lozenges: Lozenges can increase the production of the saliva and thus keep the throat lubricated. Lozenges such as slippery elm capsules can soothe your pain.
9) Gargle with bay berry leaves. It is to cure every kind of sore throat infections.
10) Crushed betel leaves: Crushed the betel leaves and apply it externally on the throat. The berry of the plant is crushed and taken with a honey for sore throat associated with a cough.
11) Fenugreek: It is a popular home remedy for sore throat. Fenugreek seeds are put in water and simmered for about half an hour. After a complete cooling, the liquid can be used for gargle to relief sore throat.
12) Ginger: Ginger can be used to treat cough and cold that results in sore throat. A ginger tea is affective for sore throat. Ginger juice can be mixed with honey to cure sore throat.
13) Henna leaves: The decoction of henna leaves is used for gargling and is good to treat sore throat.