In order to deal with the problems associated with wisdom teeth we need to become aware of its symptoms. There are some born with the fortune cookie of not having any wisdom tooth at all while others may blessed with up to 4 . This also points out to the fact that the symptoms of wisdom teeth vary from one person to another depending on the no. of wisdom teeth one acquires.
What happens when you have wisdom teeth?
- At times the wisdom teeth fail to erupt and show on the gum line or may be partially visible due to lack of space to accommodate them.
- Due to their awkward positioning it may be difficult for the bristles to reach those corners and clean them properly.
- The tiny opening that the wisdom tooth spawns around it can become a source for collection of food particles while chewing.
- The accumulation of food particles can further cause fungal infection and bad odor around the tooth.
- This can further lead to tooth decay.
How do you know you have wisdom tooth/ teeth?
- Firstly, you begin to have pain and difficulty while opening your mouth to eat or talk.
- You may have pain while chewing and swallowing your food too, caused by the wisdom tooth coming in contact with the cheek.
- While brushing you may notice a swelling, redness and tenderness in your gums.
- Though it is not very common a wisdom tooth may give rise to a cyst or tumor around it. It is even rarer for the tumor to be malignant. They may be accompanied with or without pain.
- The food particles that get trapped for long around the wisdom tooth can cause bad odor.
- The lymph nodes may be swollen under the jawbone and lead to throat pain.
- It can cause inflammation of the cheek on the side where the tooth has erupted
- It can give rise to mouth ulcers.
- Can cause excruciating pain in the jaw.
- The onset of a wisdom tooth raises the body temperature causing fever and tiredness.
- You can notice some kind of a irritation in the mouth
- There could be discharge of pus from the gums around the wisdom tooth
- The pain in the mouth can propagate to the ear and the entire head.
- It can cause nausea.
- It can cause swelling of the entire face and the throat region.
- If you tend to eat solid foods without your knowledge this can aggravate the symptoms. Hence thin liquids are recommended.
How to treat the symptoms of wisdom teeth?
- A dentist might be able to prescribe some antibiotics and pain killers to subside the pain associated with the wisdom tooth. However, if it continues to persist then tooth extraction is the ideal way to get rid of the pain.
- Placing a swab of cotton dipped in clove oil against the wisdom teeth is said to give relief.
- As an immediate remedy you may wash your mouth with warm salt water often. This helps in removing the bacteria and bad odor and also sooths the gums.
- Application of camphor oil on the infected tooth is also said to be beneficial.